LGBTQIA+ and Allies
Supporting MVC's LGBTQIA+ Community
Being LGBTQIA in our society takes strength. At Moreno Valley College, we promise to work to safeguard your right to a safe and welcoming campus by being allies, providing inclusive environments, learning and educating ourselves and our community, and helping LGBTQIA students realize their dreams.
Moreno Valley College is working to found a Pride Center. We welcome the input of students, employees and the community.
Become an Ally
An ALLY is a visible member of the Riverside Community College District community who is willing to provide a safe haven and an empathetic ear to anyone concerned with sexual orientation or gender identity issues. At MVC, being an ally means knowing that LGBTQIA+ individuals are indispensible to our campus and wider culture. Allies can attend Ally trainings, sign an Ally contract, and show their support with email signature additions, office placards, and more. Other ways to be an ally include:
- Stand up for LGBTQIA+ individuals and make your support clear. You can do this by advocating at meetings and events; shutting down anti-LGBTQ comments, attitudes or jokes; reporting discriminatory behaviors; and using inclusive language.
- Create welcoming environments by displaying LGBTQIA+ positive messaging, providing resources, and being aware of local services.
- Respect the privacy and confidentiality of LGBTQIA+ individuals that choose to share their experiences or concerns with you.
- Be willing to learn, examine your own fears and biases, and grow as a person and ally.
- Attend, support and engage with LGBTQIA+ events, creatives, writers, programs and meetings.
- Understand that LGBTQIA+ individuals are diverse, and have different backgrounds, experiences and beliefs. Know that a person's sexuality is a single facet of their life.
Organizations of Note
- ACLU: The American Civil Liberties Union was formed over 100 years ago to enforce and protect the civil liberties and rights of all Americans.
- GLSEN: GLSEN works to improve the bullying and discrimination problem against LGBTQ students in schools from grades K-12.
- GLAAD: GLAAD is an American non-governmental media monitoring organization, founded as a protest against defamatory coverage of LGBT people. GLAAD can be useful in discovering LGBTQIA+ portrayals in media.
- Human Rights Campaign: The HRC is the nation's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender civil rights organization.
- National Center for Transgender Equality: The NCTE's mission is to advovate and push for policy change that protects the freedom and liberties of transgender Americans.
- SNaPCo: SNaPCo builds power of Black trans and queer people to force systemic divestment from the prison industrial complex and invest in community support.
- Somos Familia Valle: Somos Familia Valle is a San Fernando Valley-based organization dedicated to educating and supporting the LGBTQ community and their families, with a focus on the immigrant community and people of color.
- The Trevor Project: The Trevor Project is a national crisis and suicide prevention hotline for LGBTQ teens and young adults.