Financial aid assistance is available to undocumented and non-resident students by filling out the California Dream Act Application.

You Belong at MVC

Whatever your immigration status, Moreno Valley College is pleased to be your community college choice.  

Undocumented and non-resident students do not fill out the FAFSA application. Instead, by filling out the CA Dream Act Application, or CADAA, non-citizen students can receive free college financial aid. You may be eligible for awards like CalGrant, California College Promise Grant, scholarships, and more. 

Learn More About Financial Aid Dream Center

Eligibility Requirements

Eligibility for the California Dream Act is based on your immigration status and educational experience. If you are eligible, you must fill out the CADAA, complete a Non-Resident Exemption Request, and ensure you follow all Steps to Apply. You must satisfy all requirements below.

You must have done one of the following: 

  1. attended a California high school, adult school, or California Community College for three or more years 
  2. attained credits earned in California from a California high school equivalent to three or more years of full-time high school coursework and attended a combination of elementary, middle and/or high schools in California for a total of three or more years. 

And you must have completed one of the following: 

  1. Graduated from a California high school with a diploma, attained a GED or have passed the California High School Proficiency exam 
  2. Have completed an associate degree from a California Community College or the minimum requirements for transfer to the California State University or the University of California. 

Be an undocumented/noncitizen student who is without lawful immigration status and file an affidavit with the college or university stating that you have filed an application to legalize your immigration status or will file an application as soon as eligible to do so.

  1. You must be a student at MVC. 
  2. You must complete your California Dream Act Application. 
  3. You must file an exemption request including a signed affidavit with the college that indicates you have met all applicable conditions described above. Information obtained in this process is strictly confidential unless disclosure is required under law. 
  4. You must refile your AB540 paperwork at any public California higher education institution you attend. 

Download Form AB540

A student with United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) nonimmigrant visa status is considered ineligible for these waivers. If you are a non-immigrant [for example, holding a F (student) visa, J or B (visitor) visa, etc.] you are not eligible for this exemption. As a non-resident student who meets the criteria above, you will be exempted from the payment of nonresident tuition, but they will not be classified as California residents. You will continue to be classified as a “non-resident."

Apply for the Dream Act

  • 1

    Complete Your Financial Aid and MVC Applications

    Complete your MVC and California Dream Act application. Two weeks after you have submitted your Dream Act Application, the Student Financial Services office will review your application for the College Promise Grant (CCPG) eligibility.
  • 2

    Update and Complete Any Additional Documents

    If there are any errors or missing information regarding your application you will be notified by mail with a letter explaining the process of making corrections. Once your file is processed, and eligibility for The College Promise Grant (CCPG) is determined, you will then receive a revised Financial Aid Award notification via your student email account as well as posted through WebAdvisor.
  • 3

    View Your Awards

    Financial Aid Awards can be through WebAdvisor. Simply log in, and under the “Students” menu, go to the “Financial Aid Award Letter” option.
  • 4

    Making Corrections

    If you need to make corrections to your Dream Act application, log onto and choose to "Retrieve Current Application" or "Provide Signature" on the main page to make your required corrections. Once the Student Financial Services office receives your corrected Dream Application (approx. 1-2 weeks), your College Promise Grant (CCPG) will be awarded if eligible.

Tuition Exemptions (AB540)

AB540 is a California law that allows any student, including undocumented students, who meet specific requirements to be exempt from paying nonresident tuition at all public colleges and universities in California. 

About Tuition Exemptions View AB540 Waiver Form

DACA and Dreamer Resources

MVC’s Dream Center offers non-citizen and immigrant students the chance to discover resources available to them, find support, and connect with students and individuals that share their unique experiences. Additionally, students can benefit from free local legal resources and review DACA-related updates as they occur.

Find Dreamer Resources

Know the Difference


What is the California Dream Act?

The California Dream Act of 2011 is the result of two bills, Assembly Bill 130 (AB 130) and Assembly Bill 131 (AB 131).

Together, these bills allow undocumented and documented students who meet certain provisions of AB 540 law to apply for and receive private scholarships funneled through public universities (AB 130), state-administered financial aid, university grants, and community college fee waivers (AB 131). 

What is Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA)?

Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) is a federal process that defers removal action of an individual by USCIS for a specified number of years. 

  • It is different from financial aid 
  • It does not grant lawful immigration status 
  • It does allow individuals to apply for a SSN and work authorization 

How does this impact your financial aid applications? California Dreamers should file a CA Dream Act Application instead of a FAFSA and submit a non-SSN GPA. If you or your school submits your certified GPA using your DACA SSN, make sure you include that DACA SSN on question #8 of your CA Dream Act Application.

MVC graduates

Ready to become a Mountain Lion?