Support the educational process
A paraprofessional is a specially trained, credentialed educational professional who supports students in school under the supervision of a teacher. Paraprofessionals can provide one-on-one instructional assistance to a student; help execute or reinforce lesson plans to small groups of children; as well as offer instructional support in a school computer lab, library or media center.
Programs of Study
Associate of Science and Certificate
The Educational Paraprofessional program prepares students to assist a teacher in regular classroom settings or in providing instruction and supervision to special student populations, such as bilingual/bicultural students, special education students, adult learners, and students learning English. This includes instruction in techniques of general classroom supervision, maintaining order, assisting with lessons, and carrying out related assignments.
More Ways to Learn
Why become an education paraprofessional?
The work of education paraprofessionals is at the core of creating an inclusive, supportive learning environment as vital members of a school's team. A paraprofessional may work in a variety of environments, such as special education, general classrooms, provide broad support for a specific grade level, or a combination of all three. Paraprofessionals work directly with students during the learning process, provide social and behavioral support, help develop first and second language skills, and assist with physical and medical needs.
What You'll Learn
- How to provide assistance to a teacher in regular classroom settings or in facilitating instruction and supervision to special student populations, such as bilingual/bicultural students, special education students, adult learners, and students learning English.
- How to demonstrate instruction techniques of general classroom, such as assisting with lessons, maintaining order and implementing related assignments.
- How to engage in professional communication with teachers and related school staff.
- Education Paraprofessional
- Educational Technician
- Teacher Assistant
- Instructional Aid
- Classroom Assistant
- Teacher (with further education)